Monday, June 19, 2006

Update..

Two fellow NWO'rs /WLIR fans Abacab66 and Glittering Prize have graciously accepted my invite to be contributors to this blog. THANK YOU!

This morning, I spent the better part of 2 hours burning wireless minutes with Glittering Prize just talking about those very memories and recollections of things WLIR .

Great minds certainly do think alike!

So many experiences that centered around or were in some way connected to our appreciation of the music and NW pop culture news emanating from that broadcast studio in Garden City.

Just the kind of stuff that should be posted here..

Well, so where do I begin?

Hmm.. how about... a Signal Coverage Map? ((((Yawn))))



Sorry, but I geek over stuff like this.. Deal With It..

As you can see the WLIR radio signal did not carry over a whole heck of a lot of Metro NY real estate.

I for one, did not get much of a signal up on LI's North Shore (Huntington & Greenlawn).

I first came to hear of WLIR while tooling around in a friends car during the autumn of '79.

I can't seem to recall much about it other than it was a mixed bag of AOR, some new wave and other stuff. (I'll fill in the blanks later.. Although I do recall some of those neat 'Newsblimp' minute news segments)

Like some other determined listeners, I eventually resorted to buying the biggest 'fringe reception' Dx'r model FM roof antenna plus plug in FM signal booster from Radio Shack in order to get something better sounding than.. whrsssssh krshhhh krshhhh You..'re krshhhh Li..ening.. whrsssssh to krshhhh ..LIR whrsssssh ..arden City... (you know what I mean..).

That was in the fall of '84.

No comments: